Why Is Outdoor Play for Kids Important?
Learn why outdoor play for kids is so important and five great ideas to encourage kids of all ages outside to play, along with outside toy ideas too! Find out more now!
It seems that our parents and grandparent’s generations had it right: outdoor play for kids is important! In today’s modern world, there are plenty of fabulous toys and devices, not to mention TV, to keep our kids occupied inside. With our busy lives, we’re also finding it harder to make the time to take our kids to the park or out in the garden after school.
Research has shown though, that outdoor play for kids can provide four great benefits:
- Physical health – being active helps prevent obesity in children but also builds those important connections between their brain and body for balance and coordination.
- Mental health – as well as receiving Vitamin D, outdoor play for kids helps to reduce stress levels, improve concentration and relieve anxiety.
- Environmental protection – it turns out that by encouraging our children to play outside, we are growing future conservationists! Outdoor play leads to a natural curiosity in our environment and how we can improve it.
- Being a kid – outside play is the stuff kids should be built upon! Playing with mud pies, digging in the sandpit, puddle jumping and bike riding are all activities we should be encouraging our children to do.
However, there are some other positives for playing outside too. Improved vision, the promotion and development of social skills, increased attention spans and happier kids are huge benefits too!
5 Ideas On Outdoor Play for Kids
If you find it hard to encourage your children to spend time outdoors, we’ve put together a list of five tempting outdoor activities which they’re sure to love!
- Blowing bubbles – who can resist blowing and then chasing bubbles all over the garden! Both the Rope Bubble Wand and the Bubble Machine are top favourites with kids.
- Scavenger hunt – make a list of things for your kids to find outdoors. Pinecones, leaves, sticks and even insects are common enough that all items will be ticked off the list.
- Fly a kite – there’s nothing quite like the satisfaction of seeing your kite lift off and soar through the sky! Then there’s the added benefit of much running to keep it up there!
- Make a bird feeder – whether your kids make a sturdy wooden feeder, or one from a cardboard box, the excitement of making something for a living creature is huge. A pinecone covered with peanut butter is simple to make and hang.
- Geocaching – if you haven’t tried it, geocaching is a great outdoor sport particularly enjoyed by older kids.
Our online toy shop also has a large range of outdoor toys for kids. If you can’t visit us instore, we’re very happy to help you anywhere from around the country. Simply contact us with details about the recipient, and we’ll help you find the perfect outdoor toys for every age.
- Action Figures & Toys
- Arts and Crafts
- Baby gear
- Baby Products
- Baby Toys
- Banbao Building Blocks
- Bath Toys
- Bed Warmers
- Boys Toys
- Brickadoo Building sets
- Building Blocks
- Building Toys
- Dress Ups / kids costumes
- Educational Toys
- Figurines and miniatures
- For Mum
- Gift Certificates
- Giftwrap and card
- Girly Things
- Latest Products
- Le Toy Van
- Lego - Alarm clocks - Led Lights
- Musical Toys
- Nightlights & Decor
- Novelty toys
- Outside toys
- Paulinda Modeling Products
- Pretend Play
- Remote Control Toys
- Sand and Water toys
- Soft Toys - Plush
- Sonny Angels
- Star Wars
- Sylvanian Families
- Trikes, bikes and ride ons
- Trucks, Cars, Farm and Planes
- Wooden Toys
- X Shop By Age
- X Shop By Price